On select dates, WowCuba offers their Western Cuba & Central Cuba tour itineraries on a private basis to groups of 1-6 travelers occupying a maximum of 3 rooms. Pricing is scaled to reflect the # of travelers sharing fixed costs on any given tour date. Registration is accepted & confirmed based on the # of participants committed to sharing those costs on any given tour date. If interested in signing up and joining other potential participants, but haven’t formed your own group for a private tour date, we’re happy to keep your request on file and put you in touch with other interested participants as presented without accepting a deposit or commitment to the tour. Registration is accepted on a first-come, first-served basis for those interested in submitting their deposits/final payments based on the # of confirmed travelers in their party. Child pricing for private tours is available upon request when we receive the specific details of your rooming requirements.
The Western Cuba tour begins in Cuba’s capital, Havana, in the heart of the historic old city. Marvel at the antique cars, stunning architectural restoration projects and engage yourself with the friendly locals as we make our way to the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in the Sierra del Rosario mountain range and National Natural Monument Viñales. At Soroa, spend your afternoon in the orchid garden, visit the waterfall or indulge in a fantastic massage after your ride. Continue through rural countryside to National Natural Monument, Viñales Valley, and Los Jazmines with a panoramic view of the pincushion hills (mogotes) and valley below. Back in Havana, we like to wrap up our week with an afternoon cultural activity, and a farewell dinner hosted by your rep at a local paladar restaurant.
|Private Group Tour Prices|
|Dates||USD/pax in a group of 6||USD/pax in a group of 5||USD/pax in a group of 4||USD/pax in a group of 3||USD/pax in a group of 2||USD/exclusive departure for a single traveler||Rooms Remaining||Cyclist Seeking Roommate||Last Date to Register Online|
Accommodations at the classic Hotel Sevilla in Old Havana (or similar). You’ll be contacted by a WoWCuba representative at your hotel. If you’ll be in town in time for dinner we would be happy to make an advance reservation on your behalf at a restaurant of your choice. We like Chef Ivan Justo or Al Carbon, within reasonable walking distance from your accommodations.
No Meals Included | (0 km/0 mi)
Breakfast at the hotel, depart by van then cycle inland to the Sierra del Rosario Biosphere Reserve featuring a mesic forest with evergreen, semi-deciduous environments and 35% endemic plants.
On Feb. 15, 1984, the area was one of the first to be classified in Cuba as a Biosphere Reserve and an IUCN Managed Resource Protected Area. Our ride ends at Soroa Hotel where we have lunch at the entrance to the waterfall. This afternoon: take a guided tour of the orchid gardens, or go hiking. On your hike you may sight bats, birds including the bee hummingbird or the yellow-striped Pygmy Eleuth, or one the smallest frogs in the world.
Late afternoon transfer to the town of San Diego de los Baños for lodging at Mirador de San Diego. San Diego’s medicinal sulphur spring baths are worth noting. They are available to visitors and often combined with acupuncture, mud treatments, massage and more as part of traditional medicine techniques.
Dinner at the hotel.
BB, LB, DB | (25 km/15 mi)
Breakfast at the hotel. Visit the Escogida to learn of the tobacco selection process & de-veining. Begin cycling the central road through small villages to Viñales for lunch at the Palenque de los Cimarrones before checking out the view of the valley from the Los Jazmines lookout.
Viñales is a National Park and National Monument, and since 1999, also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The area is distinguished by an “outstanding karst landscape in which traditional methods of agriculture (notably tobacco growing) have survived unchanged for several centuries. The region also preserves a rich vernacular tradition in its architecture, crafts and music”. This afternoon your tour leaders will offer the opportunity to explore the valley’s back roads by horseback, discovering local rivers, growers, and coffee plantations enroute.
BB, LB, DB | (54 km/33 mi)
Breakfast at the hotel.
Cycle along the north shore in Bahia Honda municipality with its tropical rainforest climate. The Sierra del Rosario has been a UNESCO biosphere reserve since 1985 and has an Ecological Research Station. Las Terrazas is a very successful experiment in sustainable development and its reforestation is characterized by the presence of evergreen, deciduous, xeromorphic, scrub and pine forests.
The Ecological Station is dedicated to constant monitoring of ecosystem research related to ecological restoration, forestry development, environmental education, birds, local development, conservation of agricultural biodiversity and various scientific projects, while simultaneously offering specialized ecotourism tours. It links the local community to projects related to the rescue of genetic plant resources, contributing to food security as well as sustainable tourism and the biological diversity of its ecosystems. The station conducts activities geared to community children and youth. The Las Terrazas Environmental Interest Circle features Bird and Educational lectures, Workshops, Participatory Contests, and Celebration of World Environment Day as part of their grassroots efforts to elevate the environmental education level of its inhabitants and achieve sustainable development in the region.
Specialized ecotourism tours include birdwatching, hiking to French coffee plantation ruins, learning Cuban coffee traditions and sampling at Café Maria, zip lines with a scenic view over the lake and vibrant community with its own microeconomy, swimming at the hotel pool, San Juan or Bayate rivers and more.
Accommodations and dinner at La Moka eco lodge.
BB, LB, DB | (45 km/27 mi)
Breakfast and ride the central road through Artemisa towards Havana. Artemisa, formerly of Pinar del Rio province, is the area from which many of the fighters for Cuban independence as part of the 1953 attack on the Moncada Barracks originated. The Martyrs Mausoleum there is a National Monument.
Exposure to Havana’s history, culture, music is on today’s menu. Family-style chicken & all the trimmings are on the lunch menu at El Aljibe restaurant in Miramar. Check in to Hotel Copacabana. Your tour leader will provide background one of Cuba’s staples and primary export products, rum, and lead a sampling session to enable participants to appreciate the various varieties available in the local marketplace and their unique nuances.
Check back in to Hotel Sevilla for your final evening of accommodations. Clean up for farewell dinner hosted by our representative tonight at San Cristobal paladar in Central Havana.
BB, LB, DB | (40 km/24 mi)
- BB: breakfast w/ beverage
- LB: lunch w/ beverage
- DB: dinner w/ beverage
- AI: All Inclusive
Itinerary and hotels subject to availability.
Hotel list by tour date
|27-mar-18||28-mar-18||Mirador de San Diego||San Diego de los Baños|
|28-mar-18||30-mar-18||Ermita, Jazmines, R. San Vicente||Viñales|
|30-mar-18||31-mar-18||La Moka||Las Terrazas (Artemisa)|
|10-apr-18||11-apr-18||Mirador de San Diego||San Diego de los Baños|
|11-apr-18||13-apr-18||Ermita, Jazmines, R. San Vicente||Viñales|
|13-apr-18||14-apr-18||La Moka||Las Terrazas (Artemisa)|
- Experienced Canadian company representatives for in
country reception and support
- Souvenir water bottle, rental of handlebar map bag or rear insulated trunk bag & helmet (some clients prefer to bring their own helmets, saddles, and clipless pedal/shoe systems and we have no problem with installing those on our equipment)
- Professional mechanic on tour
- Experienced bilingual Cuban and Canadian guides
- Air conditioned support bus day 2-7
- Accommodations as per itinerary, mainly 3-4* properties, all with private bath & a/c
- Meals as per itinerary (all meals include minimum of one drink)
- Cuba cycle jersey (includes shipping to your home)
- WoWCuba reps take care of tips for restaurants and accommodations (porters, reception staff, musicians, etc.) while on tour with you. If you feel the services of your Havanatur tour guide, Transtur driver and WoWCuba/MacQueen´s Island Tours tour leader warrant recognition, gratuities are welcomed. Click here for more info on tipping etiquette in Cuba.
- Snacks and cold beverages provided for rides.
- High quality, professionally maintained 27-speed hybrid bicycles outfitted for touring. Our current touring fleet consists mainly of the the Specialized Sirrus Comp, the Specialized Vita Comp and Specialized Vita Pro although we do have other options available to satisfy the individual needs of our clients. We also have a limited number of Evox electric-assist bikes available for a small upgrade fee. Other companies may claim that their bikes are the best in Cuba, but we are certain those in the know will agree that noone offers a comparable rental fleet to ours. Our Specialized bikes have a MSRP of $1000+ and are maintained by one of the most experienced, knowledgeable bicycle mechanics we know.
What’s not included
- Additional beverages
- Additional gratuities
- Medical and cancellation insurance
- Cuban departure tax
- International flights
- Tourist visa
- Passport fees
- Optional excursions, museum fees, theatre and items of a personal nature etc.
- Private or collective transfers from/to airport upon your international arrival/departure. Inquire when requesting quotation.