Your 2 week odyssey bike tour crosses Cuba from Santiago to Havana, east to west with the prevailing winds.
We begin cycling on Cuba’s Caribbean shore in Santiago de Cuba, providing a stunning piece of coastline bordering the Sierra Maestra mountains before crossing into the mountains and staying at the eco lodge El Salton with a natural waterfall serving as the hotel’s pool. We will visit Bayamo, passing through the cultural mecca Camaguey, colonial Sancti Spiritus and Trinidad, the charming city and province of Cienfuegos, the Bay of Pigs, and more, before arriving in Cuba’s capital, Havana.
We’ve been operating this annual tour since 1995 and it continues to be a favorite.
Our experienced support team is second to none and our equipment impresses even the most discerning riders.
A top notch, highly experienced WoWCuba representative accompanies your tour
|Group Tour Prices|
|Dates||USD/pax||Rooms Remaining||Cyclist Seeking Roommate||Last Date to Register|
Detailed Tour itinerary
Accommodations overlooking the ocean in Miramar at Hotel Copacabana (or similar). Arrival times vary, so we suggest that if you’d like to try and meet other group members for pre-dinner cocktails, and maybe get together for dinner, pin on your WoWCuba/MacQueen’s name tag and be in the lobby bar in the hotel at 18:30.
WoWCuba would be happy to suggest and coordinate a pre-tour group dinner reservation. Remember when trying out the cervezas, the mojitos, daiquiris and Cuba libres as your taste may be, do so in moderation – we have an early morning flight to Santiago tomorrow. A buffet meal is included for dinner at the hotel for anyone not interested in checking out alternative venues or turning in early.
D | (0 km/0 mi)
Van transfer to the city limits where we’ll begin a rural ride through the Sierra Maestra mountains to eco lodge El Salton.
Lunch and dinner at the hotel plus free time for exploring / hiking / birding this afternoon.
BB, LB, DB | (45 km/28 mi)
After breakfast this morning our leisurely ride will take us east to the north shore beach area for lunch and free time before returning to Gibara.
Dinner in town.
BB, LB, DB | (36km / 22.4mi)
Breakfast at the hotel followed by van transfer to Camaguey (founded in 1515) with free time to explore the city known for its ballet, museums, and more.
Bicycle taxi tour and dinner in the historic center.
Accommodations at the Gran Hotel or similar and dinner at one of our tour leader’s favorite local restaurants.
BB, LB, DB | (0 km/0 mi)
Cycle to the south coast and Manaca Iznaga, just outside colonial Trinidad.
After lunch, we’ll check into the hotel, and then your afternoon is open for exploring this uniquely preserved colonial city.
Lunch at one of our tour leader’s preferred local spots.
Our group’s accommodations for the next two evenings will be at two privately-operated accommodations called Hostal Lola and La Casona, bordering the historic center of Trinidad. Dinner at a local restaurant.
BB, LB, DB | (53 km/32.9 mi)
Ride through the Valle de los Ingenios (Valley of the Sugar Mills) to the 44 m (144.4 ft) Manaca Iznaga tower. If it’s operating, we’ll take the “sugar train” into town (it’s on us) – a great adventure.
Our return ride will include lunch & walking tour in the city and more free time to frolic in the Caribbean or explore local museums this afternoon.
Dinner at a private local restaurant.
BB, LB, DB | (44 km/27.3 mi)
Today our cycling will take us to the Cienfuegos Botanical Garden and then inland towards the mountain lake Hanabanilla for lunch in a spectacular setting. Return to Cienfuegos.
Dinner at one of our favorite Cienfuegos paladars.
BB, LB, DB | (45 km/28 mi)
Ride west from Cienfuegos to Montemar Natural Park, on the Bahía de Cochinos (Bay of Pigs).
Lunch at Caleta Buena, a natural breakwater teeming with tropical fish and optional diving and snorkeling. Lunch included.
Van transfer to Havana with dinner enroute at El Ajiaco Cuban specialty restaurant in Cojimar and accommodation at Hotel Copacabana.
BB, LB, DB | (48 km/29.8 mi)
Breakfast and departure.
BB | (0.0 km/0.0 mi)
- B: Breakfast
- L: Lunch
- D: Dinner
- BB: Breakfast w/1 beverage
- LB: Lunch w/1 beverage
- DB: Dinner w/1 beverage
- BAI: Breakfast All Inclusive
- LAI: Lunch All Inclusive
- DAI: Dinner All Inclusive
Itinerary and hotels subject to minor changes.
We strive to maintain up to date information, but please request a quotation to confirm prices.
Early Booking Bonus: $50/person discount to the first 4 cyclists to register and pay deposits on any tour departure (may be combined with alumni discount). Not available
Typical Tour: ~500 km (310.7 mi) in 12 days of riding. Cycling days average 41.67 km (25.89 mi) per day.
Mileage is approximate and may vary according to the group’s desires.
Most days allow for additional mileage if desired.
Slow riders are not usually a problem. However, very slow riders or “bird watchers” may not attain proposed mileage. While this is very unusual, it does occasionally happen and a short hop on the bus usually compensates for lack of speed.
Vuelta Cuba Bicycle Tour – Hotel list by tour date
|15-jan-18||16-jan-18||Melia Santiago, Imperial Santiago or Casa Granda||Santiago de Cuba|
|16-jan-18||17-jan-18||El Salton||Santiago (Sierra Maestra)|
|17-jan-18||18-jan-18||Sierra Maestra||Bayamo, Granma|
What is included?
- Experienced Canadian company representatives for in-country reception and support
- Souvenir water bottle, rental of handlebar map bag or rear insulated trunk bag & helmet (some clients prefer to bring their own helmets, saddles, and clipless pedal/shoe systems and we have no problem with installing those on our equipment)
- Professional mechanic on tour
- Experienced bilingual Cuban and Canadian guides
- Air conditioned support bus
- Accommodations as per itinerary, mainly 3-4* properties, all with private bath & a/c
- Meals as per itinerary (all meals except dinner on Day 1 include minimum of one drink)
- Cuba cycle jersey (includes shipping to your home)
- Snacks and cold beverages provided for rides
- Domestic flight from Havana to Santiago de Cuba on Day 1
- WoWCuba reps take care of tips for restaurants and accommodations (porters, reception staff, musicians, etc.) while on tour with you. If you feel the services of your Havanatur tour guide, Transtur driver and WoWCuba/MacQueen’s Island Tours tour leader warrant recognition, gratuities are welcomed. Click here for more info on tipping etiquette in Cuba.
- High quality, professionally maintained 27-speed hybrid bicycles outfitted for touring. Our current touring fleet consists mainly of the the Specialized Sirrus Comp, the Specialized Vita Comp and Specialized Vita Pro although we do have other options available to satisfy the individual needs of our clients. We also have a limited number of Evox electric-assist bikes available for a small upgrade fee. Other companies may claim that their bikes are the best in Cuba, but we are certain those in the know will agree that noone offers a comparable rental fleet to ours. Our Specialized bikes have a MSRP of $1000+ and are maintained by one of the most experienced, knowledgeable bicycle mechanics we know.
What is NOT Included?
- Additional beverages
- Additional gratuities
- Medical and cancellation insurance
- Cuban departure tax
- International flights
- Tourist visa
- Passport fees
- Optional excursions, museum fees, theatre and items of a personal nature etc.
- Private or collective transfers from/to airport upon your international arrival/departure. Inquire when requesting quotation.
Guaranteed Departures & Available Discounts
All tour dates are guaranteed to operate for paid participants with the following condition:
If the minimum number of cyclists on a tour (5, except 10 for Vuelta) is not met, then MacQueen’s Island Tours/WoWCuba reserves the right to offer the advertised itinerary accompanied only by our tour leader/mechanic in a support car/van.
Unsold tour space is normally released 30 days prior to tour departure.
Cycle Tour Early Booking Bonus:
$50 USD/person discount to the first 4 cyclists to register and pay deposit on any group cycle tour (may be combined with alumni discount). View details here.
Second consecutive cycle tour, Deduct $95 CUC per person, plus 10% discount. Bicycle jersey excluded from 2nd tour.
5% off the land only price for repeat participants. View details here.
Early Bird Group Discount:
5% off the land only price for groups of 6 or more booking together 90+ days prior to tour start. View details here.
What Clients Are Saying About WoWCuba Bicycle Tours
These guys really know the area and more importantly really know the people. They can get you in to places that other don't even know about.
Very well organized, good accommodations, good food, excellent service overall. The staff was very flexible and attentive to our needs. Riding through the country side is a lot of fun. Going through the towns is very interesting. The following bus is comforting as well as the lead and follow up ride leaders.
Wow Cuba were amazing. Itinerary was great with just the right amount of difficulty for me. Tour guides so caring with the group and checked the bikes every day. They were also lots of fun, but always looking after us. Nothing was too much trouble, even going to the airport in search of lost luggage.