Hotel La Moka
Hotel La Moka is in the Sierra del Rosario mountains about, a UNESCO biosphere reserve, 45 minutes west of Havana. The eco-hotel overlooks the village of Las Terrazas, the focus of a massive reforestation and sustainability project started in the 1970’s. If you fancy a natural setting with abundant activity options while in Cuba, then this is the ticket. In the area you can row a boat, paddle a kayak, zipline, birdwatch, hike (even to coffee plantation ruins), play tennis, swim in your choice of the natural pools of the San Juan & Bayate Rivers or the hotel pool and more. The hotel’s nestled in a treed area integrated into its environment and overlooks the community of Las Terrazas. As part of the hotel complex, five air conditioned rooms are offered in residents’ houses located within the actual community. Rooms have private bath, contemporary art, national television and telephone. The experience provides the best insight into local community culture.
Guests and visitors to Las Terrazas are able to enjoy food & beverage services at the following facilities:
- Cafetal Buenavista: Cuban food from 9 am-5pm near the partially-restored 18th century coffee plantations.
- Fonda de Mercedes: Typical homemade regional Cuban food from 9am-9pm on Mercedes’ terrace with a view of the community.
- Rancho Curujey: Snacks like pulled pork sandwiches, malts from 9am-10pm on the banks of the El Palmar lake.
- El Balcon de Las Tecas: Stylized modern Cuban cuisine from 12-3pm and 7-10pm at La Moka hotel with indoor and outdoor seating.
- Café del Campesino: Traditional Creole food from 9 am-5pm in a typical countryside dwelling made from natural materials with domestic farm animals, gardens, fruit trees and more.
- El Romero: Gourmet Cuban vegetarian food made from fresh, healthy, organic, wild ingredients from 12-9pm in the Las Terrazas center, featuring a non-stop view and open kitchen.
- Casa de Botes: Fish & seafood from 9am-10pm at the Boathouse in the community on the shore of the San Juan River.
- El Macurije: Creole Cuban and roast pork from 9am-6pm in a countryside setting near the San Juan River.
- El Bambu: Creole Cuban from 9am-6pm from 9am-6pm in a countryside setting near the San Juan River.
- El Almacigo: Cuban food from 9am-6pm and another 24-hour bar for light snacks, drinks and alcohol in the community, this is where you will go to connect with local residents.