WoWCuba offers the unique possibility of delving into Cuban contemporary art first hand through displays and intimate exchange of ideas with the actual artists accompanied by local art curators in the artists’ own studios. Our designated bilingual Cuban curator/tour leader will set up appointments with artists as well as design programs for curator-guided visits to art museums, art centers and galleries. Their selection of some of the most important contemporary artists to visit in Cuba is developed by internationally recognized curators. Visits can be coordinated on request with artists not included in their selection if desired. Architectural city tours can be arranged to experience the different architectural periods of Havana, private antique collectors, or with advance notice, art tours to other Cuban provinces. This experience is only for those interested in learning more about Cuban society far beyond regular tourism borders. It appeals to collectors of Latin American art interested in discovering art trends in contemporary Cuba.
“I learned more about modern Cuba from these artists in one day than I did in the rest of my two-week trip.”
—Gavin McOwan, The Guardian, January 26, 2008
WoWCuba Havana Art Tours 2016-17
WoWCuba rates/person in USD
Valid to 30/04/17
|This offer only available when booked in advance in conjunction with WoWCuba’s minimum booking requirement (1 hotel night, 3 car rental days*, or other multi-day WoWCuba tour package)|
|1/2 Day Tour|
|1 pax||2 pax||3 pax||4 pax||5 pax||6 pax||7 pax||8 pax||9 pax||10 pax||11 pax||12 pax|
|13 pax||14 pax||15 pax||16 pax||17 pax||18 pax||19 pax||20 pax||21 pax||22 pax||23 pax||24 pax|
Half day art tour (includes 4 artist studio visits)
Departure 1: 10 am – 2 pm
Departure 2: 2:30 pm to 6:30 pm
WoWCuba’s Havana Art Tour Prices Include:
- Schedule organization
- Appointments with artists and/or art galleries
- Access to artist studios
- Curatorial work (selection of artists and works to be exhibited)
- Curatorial advice or assistance, explanation on specific techniques, art trends, and artworks
- Professional translation
Cuban ground handling fees, transportation (easily contracted locally for individuals – groups requiring transport please request quote), gratuities, agency service fees
Tailor-made schedules (more than one day)
Full or multiple-day tours can be arranged to cater to your individual needs and/or schedule. Rates and availability on request.
Purchasing art at Cuba art studios
Once at an artist’s studio, the curator/tour leader can facilitate the purchase and shipping of artwork ranging from paintings to sculpture including artistic ceramics for art enthusiasts who wish to acquire a certain piece. The curator/tour leader offers the following art acquisition services:
- An official document from the Cuban Patrimony Office is required to take artwork out of Cuba. The curator/tour leader can obtain this certificate with corresponding signatures & stamps. The $20 CUC certificate is valid for up to five artworks from the same artist and is paid by the art collector.
- The curator/tour leader provides (free of charge) the certificate of authenticity (duly signed by the artist) as well as catalogues, curriculum, and press file on the artist. An explanation of the specific artwork may be delivered by the artist him/herself if requested.
If the art collector has sufficient cash to pay for artwork in full in Cuba, he/she is free to take it as accompanying baggage to his/her country of origin.
- For travelers who do not have access to sufficient funds to complete their purchase while in Cuba, once the art collector has selected the artwork, the curator/tour leader accepts a deposit from the art collector in order to reserve the artwork. Upon return to his/her country of origin, the collector can transfer the balance of the payment to the artist´s foreign bank account (which may be in Spain, Mexico, or the USA). Upon confirmation of reception of funds, the curator/tour leader will ship the art to the collector’s designated delivery address via airline courier.